The wing of an airplane with clouds and the sun in the background

CSU has a long tradition of travel, teaching and research in international destinations. We can all agree that international experiences have life changing impacts on the lives of our students, and the research we do creates positive impacts on the global challenges we face. CSU faculty, employees and students travel internationally for a wide variety of reasons: – for research, teaching, conferences, learning, field experiences, education abroad, and alternative break experiences to name a few.

What to do in an emergency

Should you experience a medical emergency while you are traveling internationally, please contact the Travel and Medical Assistance Provider listed on the CSU Travel Insurance card. When contacting CSU’s provider please state that you are from Colorado State University, and please quote the policy number provided.

If you do not have this information, contact us at (970) 491-6745 so that we can contact the provider on your behalf, or see the CSU Travel Insurance Card

How to File a Claim

For non-emergency out of pocket medical expenses incurred in an international destination, call (970) 491-6745 for assistance to submit a claim for possible reimbursement on your return


For travelers wishing to complete their travel advisory waivers, or to see traveler historic approved trips please use CSU EID to log into RMI’s International Travel TEM Portal.

Students (all students including undergraduate and graduate students) are required to register with the Office of Education Abroad prior to departureContact Education Abroad Staff.

Travel Advisory Waiver Form

The travel advisory waiver form is now electronic. If a traveler has a trip to a destination subject to a travel advisory, make sure that all the trip information is entered, saved and submitted in Kuali TEM. After the TA is saved and submitted the system will email the traveler a link to the Kuali TEM portal. 

International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC)

ITOC, chaired by the International Risk Manager, reviews petitions by students or student groups planning to travel to a destination designated as higher risk by the US Department of State, by CSU’s insurance providers or are planning to engage in high risk activities. ITOC reviews petitions, and then after consideration will either authorize, deny, or authorize with conditions.

ITOC membership consists of members from across campus, including Education Abroad, General Counsel, Support and Safety Assessment, Student Affairs, and the Office of Risk Management and Insurance.

ITOC may also hold special meetings to create and adapt procedures related to student travel and to assess topics related to student travel, regional or country risk assessments or other international mobility concerns for the university.


International Emergency Response Team

The International Emergency Response Team reports to the Public Safety Team (PST) and is charged with coordinating the institutional response to incidents and crises involving international activities, including faculty, staff and student travel.

International Insurance

International Insurance

CSU faculty and staff traveling outside the United States of America while on university business are covered by CSU’s international Insurance program. See the summary of benefits (PDF). In addition to liability protection, coverage also includes travel assistance, emergency medical expenses, medical evacuation, political/ security evacuation, repatriation of remains, lost document assistance, embassy and consular information, and security assistance. Coverage is world-wide except in the USA and with certain exclusions in select countries as outlined in the policy documents.

International Insurance Card

CSU’s business travel accident insurance renews August 1.

CSU’s International Travel Insurance covers all CSU faculty and employees traveling internationally on CSU business, provided that they have registered first with Risk Management prior to departure.

All travelers should download and keep a copy of this travel insurance card with them, and have it available while they are traveling.

For international travel after 8/1/2017 see download International Travel Insurance Card (PDF) 

For travel prior to 8/1/2017 see the EA ID Card (PDF). In addition CSU offers Identity theft protection services, for more information, see the ITP ID Card (PDF).